Turkey Shepherd's Pie (Merlin's Modifications)
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1/8 cup fat free sour cream
- 1 tbs reduced-calorie margarine
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/8 tsp table salt (or to taste)
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, diced (or shredded)
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1.25 lb lean ground turkey
- 3 tbs all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped (or 1 tsp dried rosemary)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups beef broth
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
Prepared mashed potatoes by first boiling the potatoes, then mashing them together with the sour cream, margarine, buttermilk and salt. Set aside.
In a pan, saute the onion, carrot and mushroom in the olive oil until everything is soft, and the mushrooms are cooked down a bit. Then add the turkey, and cook until it's brown. Add the thyem, rosemary, flour and salt; stir until the flour is fairly uniformly distributed into the mess. Add the broth, simmer until thickened.
Spoon into 7 ounce ramekins, and top with potatoes. Bake at 400 for 30 minutes, or until golden brown and delicious.
This delicious, home-style, decadent-seeming dish turns out to only be 5 WW points per dish!